Social Work Services
As part of its work within the community, Agenzija Appogg offers supervision and support within the Paulo Freire Institute (PFI), based in Zejtun and set up by the Maltese Jesuits.
The primary aim of Paulo Freire Institute was to respond to the growing problem of illiteracy amongst children and adults alike. However, it developed into a holistic service, providing literacy classes for adults, youths and children, educational and recreational activities for children as well as a social work service in the community.
The PFI also works on a number of community based projects, generally related, but not exclusively, to literacy and learning.
Agenzjia Appogg was involved in the project from its initial stages. The Agency provides the services of a community based social worker, as well as a community worker, who are based at PFI, run by the Jesuits. Through this arrangement, both entities share a very positive and fruitful relationship and is a good example of collaboration between Non-Governmental Organisations and Agenzija Appogg. It also highlights the benefits of community-based work.
Throughout the years PFI has become a very significant centre for the Zejtun community and for others coming from neighbouring towns and villages. It serves as a drop-in centre for those seeking assistance in personal, family or other social problems, as well as support in developing skills to help improve their quality of life.
Aims of the service are :
- To improve the quality of life of the local community by offering community based services, giving particular attention to the most vulnerable in the community;
- To provide literacy opportunities for children and adults;
- To provide social work services within the community;
- To work in partnership with other service providers for the benefit of the most excluded in the community;
- To build formal and informal support networks in the local community so that the most needy may find support within their own community;
- To strengthen community resources through support, training and collaboration;
- To partner in community Local Council activities, in particular in the Manuċċa Childcare Centre.
To evaluate the changes that are taking place and constantly work for more positive changes in the community.
For further information regarding the services offered by the National Agency of Social Work in Malta please visit the Appoġġ Website.